Freelance Designer and developer
King of All Trades Design (self-employed)
Design and development work for graphic, web and email marketing projects. Experience with interface design, user experience, online management and content marketing for numerous web sites. Coordination of email programs, including design, database and list administration, promotional campaigns and automated messages. Brand and visual identity work, designing logos, icons, and various print collateral. Online marketing knowledge, including SEM, SEO and display advertising. Advanced analytics and reporting, strategy and consulting. Clients include various private and public companies, non-profit organizations and small to medium size businesses. See portfolio for examples and clients.
contract ecommerce, emarketing, web designer/developer
Oct. 2008 - May 2015
Stickeen Brand Services
Part-time contract web designer and developer, mainly working on Klean Kanteen account as well as other clients. As part of small agency team, managed global web presence and $2 million ecommerce store, including site design, development and maintenance. Also coordinated email marketing programs for consumer and wholesale, online advertising, analytics and reporting, and strategic marketing campaigns. Managed other vendors on behalf of clients, including hosting, domains, IT support, database systems, online platforms, social media applications, and other tools. Various roles as UI/UX designer, web developer, project and account manager, and content marketing specialist on variety of projects and clients.
senior web graphic designer
Dec. 2006 - Nov. 2007
Web designer in emarketing group, worked on design, maintenance, programming, and management of corporate intranet and internet sites. Worked on large number of product web sites based on variety of platforms, technologies and CMS systems. Also responsible for landing pages and emarketing templates/design. Worked closely with Web Managing Editors and Business Units on variety of online corporate and product marketing projects. Helped developed new corporate web guidelines, standards and specifications.
contract web designer/developer
Apr. 2006 - Dec. 2006
Mentor Graphics Corporation
Contractor on Web Services Team as web designer/developer. Worked on support web site redesign, porting existing site content over to CommonSpot, a ColdFusion based CMS. Primary role as CMS administrator, managing users, groups, approvals, templates, metadata, elements, and other aspects of system. Managed additional corporate web site content, including series of international events. Developed internal site Knowledge Base of documentation on processes, systems and applications. Researched and reviewed CMS products and other web applications, utilities and technologies.
art director and web manager
Jul 2001 - Mar. 2006
Managed 2000+ page corporate web site, including all content and graphics. Coordinated international sites, including translation and localization. Oversaw site maintenance, testing, troubleshooting and traffic monitoring. Also managed proprietary custom CMS and database. Determined strategic site objectives, goals and plans for improvement. Implemented web driven lead-generation and site promotion programs, including on-site search engine optimization. Ensured all internal and external communications conveyed corporate brand identity and messaging. Produced designs for printed literature, advertising, events, direct mail, email and tactical sales and marketing programs. Also developed interactive Flash animations for tradeshows, CD-ROM and web use. Role as art director and project manager; coordinating schedules, printing, budget and production. Often directed outside vendors and agencies.
Graphic and Web Designer
Jun. 1999 - Jul. 2001
Des Moines, IA
Responsible for design and development of all corporate marketing materials, including print collateral and online presence. Managed static 400+ page external web site and 200+ page internal site, including all content, design and graphics. Developed CD-ROM packaging and installation screens for embedded OS product along with interactive multimedia product introduction. Design of tradeshow booth exhibition signage and promotional materials as well as creation of advertisements, data sheets, white papers and corporate brochures. Also generated corporate and sales presentations, diagrams, illustrations, and other graphics. Additional roles as art director, project manager, print coordinator, marketing specialist and international web manager.
Knowledge and Skills:
- PHP and ColdFusion
- mySQL, SQL
- XML, XSLT
- Responsive Design
- Mobile Optimization
- Web Standards
Programs and platforms
- Microsoft Office Suite - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Visio, SharePoint
- Adobe Creative Suite - Dreamweaver, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Bridge, Flash, Acrobat
- Email Clients - Mac Mail, Outlook, Entourage, Gmail, Lotus Notes
- Web Analytics - Google Analytics, WebTrends, Clicktracks, Measureful, SumAll
- Webmaster Tools - Google and Bing
- Web DevTools - Chrome, FireFox, etc.
- Project Management Software - Basecamp, MS Project, Changepoint, @Task, etc.
- Blog Software - Wordpress, Blogger
- Email Platforms - Constant Contact, Bronto, MailChimp, Campaign Monitor, etc.
- File Management - Dropbox, Google Drive, GitHub
- Ecommerce Software - Magento, Shopify, X-Cart, ZenCart, Volusion, etc.
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM) - Salesforce.com, Sugar, Zoho
- Content Management Systems (CMS) - ModX, WordPress, SquareSpace, etc.
- Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube, Hootsuite, Sprout
- Online Survey and Form Tools - Wufoo, Survey Monkey, etc.
- Various additional applications for Apple and Windows
- Database schemas and structures
- FTP/SFTP, network, server experience
- cPanel and Web Host Manager (WHM)
- phpMyAdmin and MySQL Workbench
- XAMPP and local testing environments
projects and Experience:
Online and Digital
- Web site design, development and programming
- Web site management and maintenance
- User interface and experience design (UI/UX)
- Information architecture (IA)
- Ecommerce strategy and management
- Email marketing management
- Database and list administration
- Search engine marketing and optimization (SEM/SEO)
- Social media campaigns and app graphics
- Online display advertising
- Content marketing and development
- Global and international online marketing
- Analytics, campaign tracking and reporting
design and marketing
- Corporate identity and branding
- Logos, symbols and icons
- Infographics and information design
- Publication and literature layout
- Pre-press and print preparation
- Direct mail campaigns
- Packaging design
- Event marketing
- Tradeshow booth and exhibition signage
- Interactive design and multimedia
- Flash animation and storyboarding
- CD-ROM installation graphics
- Copywriting, editing, and proofreading
Memberships and Organizations:
*Includes both past and present.
- Search Engine Marketing Assocation of Portland (SEMpdx)
- Computer-Human Interaction Forum of Oregon (CHIFOO)
- Meetups - PDXTech4Good, PDX Web & Design
- Internet Professionals Special Interest Group (IP-SIG)
- Developer Group Northwest (DevGroupNW)
- User Interface Special Interest Group (UI-SIG)
- InDesign Users Group (IDUG)
- ColdFusion Users Group (CFUG)
- Mac Users Group of Portland
- American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA)
- Sustainable Business Network of Portland
- 1% for the Planet - member since 2006
- Green America - 2007-2014
- Bicycle Transporation Alliance (BTA)
- Washington Co. Bicycle Transportation Coalition
- Northwest Trail Alliance (NWTA)
- International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA)
- Rails-to-Trails Conservancy
- Oregon Small Woodlands Association
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Portland
- Banks Youth Soccer
- Banks Chamber of Commerce
Education and Engagement:
Frequently attend demos, programs, seminars, webinars and speakers covering various topics to broaden
knowledge of industry trends and technologies. I have also spoken, presented, and judged at events/courses.
- Iowa State University - Ames, IA
B.F.A. in Graphic Design – 1999
- Portland's Digital Marketing Conference
- MarketingSherpa's Lead Generation Summit
- Internet Strategy Forum
- AIGA National Design Conference
- Iowa State University: Graphic Design Europe Trip - 1998